Monday, 2 May 2016

What sort of Bedminster councillor would I be?

I have the determination, persistence, skills and consistency of convictions of a person with 35 yrs experience as a Green campaigner. 

As an Open University Tutor, formerly a science teacher and industrial technologist/chemist, I have many transferable skills to offer. (See here)

As an elected councillor I would take a strongly free-thinking, evidence-based, reasoned, systems-thinking approach to all my work. I firmly believe in raising the ethical standards of all those in politics/public life. I would therefore: 

 
  • serve only the public interest 
  • work honestly and with integrity 
  • make decisions on merit 
  • be accountable to the public and appropriate scrutiny bodies
  • be as open as possible about my actions and those of the council, giving reasons
  • taking account of the views of others I will reach my own conclusions on the issues before me and act in accordance with those conclusions 
  • promote equality by not discriminating against any person, and by treating people with respect, regardless of their race, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability 
  • respect the impartiality and integrity of the authority’s statutory officers and other employees 
  • uphold the law and act in accordance with the trust that the public is entitled to place in me
  • ensure that the authority uses resources prudently and lawfully 
  • promote and support high ethical standards by leadership and example 
  • act to secure and preserve public confidence.
(See this post here about the Councilllors Code of Conduct). 

I will work for our real wealth - our environment and our society, the source of all our resources and the basis of our lives - and for it to be sustained now and for the generations to come. I aim to:
  • challenge institutions, decision-making processes and politicians and identify and report unreasonable compromise at crunch points
  • counter greenwash and greenspeak, the spin, public relations and marketing used manipulatively and deceptively to show you are green, ecological, sustainable or environmentally-friendly when in reality you aren't
  • describe, explain, advocate and enact  green analysis, change and problem solving, specifically: respecting our environment and society; stronger local communities; meeting needs now and into the future; local and global fairness;  equality and diversity; efficiency; renewability; health, wellbeing and quality of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Genuine, constructive, relevant comments are most welcome.