I am writing as a supporter of Amnesty International in your constituency to ask what you can do to promote and protect human rights if you are elected to Parliament.
I know that you will be receiving information from many individuals and organisations asking you to support their policy recommendations to the next government.
However, I hope that you will agree that respect for human rights should be at the centre of all government policies, and therefore ask you, if elected, to ensure that:
- Women’s human rights are respected in the UK and overseas, including freedom from violence and active participation in decisions affecting their lives.
- Human rights are not undermined by a security agenda that denies opportunity for a fair trial or seeks to deport foreign nationals to countries where they face a serious risk of torture.
- The human rights framework in the UK is protected
- Leadership is shown in addressing the preventable deaths of women and children and to give your support to the ‘Manifesto for Motherhood’.
- The debate on asylum and immigration is a principled one that does not pander to the prejudices of those with extreme views on this issue.
I hope that you will support these recommendations and maintain a commitment to human rights during your election campaign and after.
Many thanks for your attention in this matter; I look forward to your reply.